Monday, September 10, 2007

Island living, for want of nothing

Well, I ventured back to the big city (Vancouver) this weekend, and was so happy to get back to my quiet little island last night. It's funny how fast you get use to the peacefulness of the country - I have trouble sleeping in the city now, which is something I used to make fun of my parents for.

This weekend coming up is a major one on Salt Spring - it's our annual Fall Fair. It's always sort of a busy weekend, but for us it's going to be crazy since dear friends of ours are getting married here on Saturday. Neither of them have ever lived on Salt Spring, but they both feel drawn to it, and thought it was a special place to be wed. And wow, they're not alone. We know two more couples who are getting married here in the next year - and those are just amongst our closest friends.

On another note, something that always made me a bit nervous about living on a small island was the possible lack of some amenities. Today, for instance, my printer stopped working because I needed to replace the imaging drum. First of all, I don't even know what that is, but I was able to find it online, and it'll be delivered to my office tomorrow morning by courier. My fears have been abated - technology has enabled us to live on a tiny island for want of nothing!

Have fun - N

No comments: