Thursday, September 20, 2007

Investment potential on Salt Spring

It is officially fall here on the island. We're still getting warm afternoons (high of 21 yesterday), but that autumn is creeping in at the edges a bit. I've always found the seasons' change is more evident on Salt Spring than it is in the city. You see the leaves changing in your yard, you feel the nip in the air when you walk through the shade, Halloween and Thanksgiving are looming in the near future. There's even just that cold smell of dewy blackberry bushes and falling leaves that is so fresh and comforting. Makes you feel like there's bound to be a pumpkin pie waiting at home. Ahh - I love it here.

Real estate is bouncing on the island - autumn and spring are traditionally the busiest times. There are lots of options on the market for buyers, and there are lots of buyers for the sellers, and I'm noticing well-priced property is moving relatively quickly.

Something that I'm becoming acutely aware of, is that the investment potential on Salt Spring is very high. While researching market statistics for my Salt Spring Island Buyer's Guide, I realized the average selling price for a single family home on Salt Spring has increased by 83% in the past five years. 83%! So if you purchased a home in 2002 for $400k, it could now, very possibly, be worth over $730k. What an incredible profit. And, while no one can predict the future, it sure doesn't look like there's too much hope of it slowing down.

But, fear not Buyers. There are still numerous affordable homes on the island. And for those of you not so bound by affordability, there are some real gems out there for sale right now. I'm always amazed at the craftsmanship, uniqueness and beauty of most of Salt Spring's homes. If you're curious, of course let me know and I'll get you set up for a free, easy listing update service.

Anyhow - I'm off to finish up some work, then spend the rest of the evening starting on my Christmas knitting. It just feels like the right autumn thing to do.

All the best - N

No comments: