Thursday, October 4, 2007

The lowdown on septic fields

I've been working diligently away here getting requested copies of my 'Salt Spring Island Buyer's Guide' out, and have been receiving great feedback. One of the websites I mention in my guide has ended up being quite useful to a number of folks. That website is:

http://www.crd.bc.ca/wastewater/septic/savvy.htm

This web document gives a really good run-down of how septic systems work, and how to properly maintain and use them. I know it was exceptionally useful to me when I first moved to the island - after living in Vancouver for 10 years, and only owning a condo previously, septic systems were a strange and unusual contraption to try and figure out. There were a few things (unclogging a drain, for example) I had to learn to do a little differently in order to keep my septic field healthy. Thank goodness I read this document first.

Things are quieting down here on the Island these days - at least as far a tourism goes. Parking downtown is much easier now, and so is getting a table at a restaurant. It's actually a great time of year to visit Salt Spring - quieter, the Saturday market is still going on for a little longer, it's still relatively warm, and it's a perfect for curling up in the evening with a glass of wine and watching the rain.

Have fun - N

No comments: