Saturday, August 11, 2007

New to the Island, again


My husband and I moved into our new Salt Spring home just a week and a half ago, and we are completely adoring island life. Everyone is so cheerful, and it seems everywhere we go, whether the supermarket or a paint store, we're getting just amazing service. Yesterday we bought a large quantity of paint and painting supplies, and the salesman started us an account (not even asking for ID), saying he'd bill us at the end of the month. We walked away with several hundred dollars of product, leaving nothing but our phone number! The level of community and trust is just astounding me after ten years in Vancouver.

Another surprise for us was how many services there are available here. I knew the island had grown up quite a bit over the time I was away, but I had no idea how extensive the amenities had become. My father once went an entire year without ever leaving the island - it was a talked about feat then, but I think that would be quite easy to achieve now.

The Salt Spring real estate market has surprised me too. Despite the increase in property values over the last ten years, there are still a number of affordable homes here. Granted, the homes are all incredibly affordable compared to Vancouver prices, but there are a reasonable selection of starter homes, town homes and inexpensive building lots available. If you're interested in taking a look, be sure to go to my contact page and I can set you up with listing updates.

My next entry is going to be taking a look at the actual differences in the costs of living here as compared to Vancouver. Some things are much cheaper here (or free, in the case of parking), and some things are quite a bit more pricey. I'll take a good look at it in the next few days.

Until then, have fun and enjoy the sunshine. - N

No comments: