Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How to Choose a Realtor Anywhere

One of my past clients from Vancouver recently contacted me, hoping to have me list her home in the near future. I, sadly, was unable to as my expertise now lay on Salt Spring, and it would have been unethical for me to list her home in a now unfamiliar market. Instead I provided her with a reference for a Realtor in Vancouver I have complete confidence in - and so the question came up - what do I, as a Realtor, look for in another agent?

There are a several things I look for in another agent - and there are even more specific criteria I look for on Salt Spring. Generally speaking, what I want is someone who will go above and beyond, and someone who will use their expertise to sell my home as soon as possible, or help me find the right property - either transaction on terms and for a price I am happy with. Any agent can do the bare minimum. Furthermore, whatever commission is negotiated, I want to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.


When interviewing a Realtor(R), I highly recommend looking for the following:

A Solid Marketing Plan - So they'll list it on MLS...and then what? I want an agent who will use several methods of marketing. Professional listing sheets, personal websites, property signs, and open houses are a few examples of what I would expect from my agent. Due to the popularity of Salt Spring all over North America, I'd like to see some method of advertising off island and out of province. Also, look at their business cards and ask for samples of their marketing to get an idea of how well they will represent your home.

A Good Reputation - Show me the testimonials. I'm not concerned with the number of sales in the last year, but I do want to know that the services they did provide were so exceptional, that their clients took time out of their lives to write a testimonial. Also - on Salt Spring it's a good idea to see if you can get a sense of their relationship with other Realtors on the island. If they are highly regarded by their colleagues, that could be of benefit to you.

A Seller's AND Buyer's Agent - Many agents get to the point where they are so busy they hand off buyers to another agent. I want an agent that works closely with both sellers and buyers. Who knows? If they have several buyers already looking for homes such as mine, they might be able to get it sold even faster. And if I'm looking for property, they will have a better chance of knowing what's coming up on the market - maybe just the right house is coming onto the market next week...

Professional Communication - This is a big one for me, a real deal breaker. I want someone who will return my calls and emails quickly, and just generally keep me informed and up to date on what's happening during each step of the process - and even after the completion of the sale, it's nice to get a call or two checking in to make sure everything is fine.

Interpersonal Skills - Finally, it's important to me to actually like and trust the person I'm working with. If I like them, others will too, and I want that kind of person representing me and my home - or my offer for purchase. Knowing they understand what I care about, and that their caring goes beyond the cash value of the sale is a must. Furthermore a calm, positive outlook from my Realtor will help me maintain my composure in stressful dealings.

These are my key factors in finding another agent to refer to, either on Salt Spring or elsewhere.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions,

All the best,
-N

No comments: